Wednesday, February 22, 2012

All Mixed Up

What separates the pros from the amateurs in design, I believe, is the ability to mix patterns and create a sophisticated and purposeful space. I've always been afraid of using too many patterns, whether in an outfit or in a room. But I've been branching out lately, trying to bring an interesting mix into my bedroom. I like the results, but I have a lot to learn.

There are some rules (in fashion as well as decor). Color and scale are two things to keep in mind. The large-scale pattern on the rug in this dining room works well with the smaller-scale pattern in the chairs, and red is used throughout:
Effortless Style
The tiny pattern on the chairs here doesn't compete with the bold wallpaper motif, and again the main color is the same in both:
Sarah Richardson
Both the patterns and colors here are soft and subtle:
Sarah Richardson
But you can have fun and go bold:
Windsor Smith
Decorate via Apartment 34
Dooce
Emily Henderson
High Gloss via The Nero Chronicles
Emily Henderson
This one's a little crazy, and I can't tell why it works, but somehow it just does:
Via Pinterest
What do think? Do you like a mix, or do you prefer to play it safe?

4 comments:

  1. The mixed rooms are so fun, but I'm a "play it safe" kind of girl! :) I love the bedding in the bottom photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! At best, I could handle florals and stripes. But I'm working on it!

      Delete
  2. I love all of them! You have a lovely blog. I'm a new follower.

    Charmaine

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!