Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer Cocktail Series: Mint Julep

I'm not a big drinker, but when the weather warms up, I usually crave something sweet and fruity. Sangria is my summer drink of choice, but it's not something that can be made on the spur of the moment.

So I thought it would be fun to try making a different cocktail every week and record the results. First up, a mint julep following this recipe. I had all the ingredients, and it seemed simple enough. And it looks good, doesn't it:

I'd never actually had a mint julep, so I don't have anything to compare it with. The recipe seemed a bit strong, so I used a little more simple syrup and a little less whiskey. Erik doesn't care for whiskey, but he's a trooper so he gave it a try. He really liked it, giving it four out of five stars! I rated it a 3.5, only because it wasn't very minty. Next time I'll try steeping the mint in the simple syrup while it's warm.

All in all, though, it was a good effort. Next up: a Tom Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!